Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I prefer the term African American Express

Willie Randolph was fired last night by NY Mets GM Omar Minaya. I always thought Willie was a good manager, although he's been a source of ridicule for his teams colossal collapse at the end of last season.

However, I don't really think he was on the hot seat until he played the race card. After he wondered if race was the reason he was being criticized, he had to apologize for invoking color and the "Willie Randolph Watch" was on.

Race is something people in American don't want to talk about. In sports especially, if you use the race card, you're likely to get roasted. I don't understand. Race is a reality, and considering the plight of African Americans I can't blame someone for being at least a little paranoid that their race matters to other people.

A lot of times, they might have legitimate cases. With Willie, I'm not sure, but he wasn't ridiculous for asking the question. I guess for his sake he should have kept his mouth shut. He'd probably still be guiding the good ship Metropolitan. Hopefully he'll be able to bounce back on his feet and get another position.

No comments: